Hi My Loves!
I had some beef broth that I had been wanting to use up for a while now, so I decided last night to make some homemade soup. I basically just used whatever we had left in our cupboards and fridge, I didn't follow a recipe, just winged it ;) LOL
It turned out soooooo yummy! I was nervous it wasn't going to be that yummy but it was so good! Jay is not really much of a soup person and he said he really loved it, so that's always a good sign :) I posted this picture last night and a few people asked for the recipe, so here it is!
The finished result! I topped it off with Cabots Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese ;) YUM!
About 3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil ( i didn't measure so I'm not sure)
3 Garlic Cloves
1/2 White Onion
6 Organic Carrots (peeled)
3 Russet Potatoes (peeled)
4 Tomatoes (we like on the vine)
6? Cups of Water (again I just added it as I went)
1 Can Low Sodium Beef Broth
1 Can Tomato Paste
1 Can Low Sodium Kidney Beans
1/2 lb Pasta Shells
Sweet Basil (to taste)
Oregano (to taste)
Salt & Pepper (to taste)
1. Get a big pot ready!
2. Dice your onion
3. Peel your carrots and potatoes and get them chopped up into small chunks (however you like)
4. Chop your garlic and tomatoes (i diced the tomatoes)
5. Add your onions and carrots to pot with the olive oil on medium high heat and cook for about 5 minutes until onions become more transparent
6. Add potatoes, garlic & tomatoes to pot
7. Add the rest of the ingredients to the pot and bring to a boil and stir. You might want to add more water ( i have no idea the measurements because I kept adding more as it cooked because the potatoes and pasta will absorb the water, so just keep checking, you can always add more)
8. Bring to a boil and then simmer, stirring occasionally and checking to see if you need to add more water for about 35- 40 minutes. Just keep checking to see if the carrots, potatoes and pasta shells are cooked :) I put the lid on about 1/2 way through.
9. Grate some of your favorite cheese, serve up your soup and add to the top :)
10. Enjoy the warm goodness!!!
I was really surprised how filling this was for a soup. I think because of the olive oil, potatoes and pasta, it made it such a warm, hearty meal that filled Jay up too :) This made enough for us plus a big huge tupperware full of leftovers and another tupperware for Jay to take to work today, so quite a lot! I would say it could easily feed a family of 4 or 5.
I hope you guys like my soup!!
Please let me know if you make it and how you liked it :) Post a picture on my facebook page so I can see!
Thanks for reading!
Hope you all have a lovely weekend!